By Tanuja Dabir
Holidays are a time for celebration, festivities, family time, fun and laughter. And no celebration is complete without a dessert!
The unlimited choices of parfaits, tarts, pies, cakes, chocolates, cheese cakes and truffles, especially available through the holidays, can make it hard to stay away from the mouthwatering indulgences. Unfortunately, most of these sweets are high in bad fats, sugar and gluten.
Not only are these confectionaries high in calories, but they can lead to heartburn, indigestion, bloating and weight gain. Hence, the discomfort and guilt we experience lasts much longer than the delight and pleasure we feel when consuming these desserts.
So, one of the best ways to really enjoy dessert is to make your own ‘healthier’ version, whether you are entertaining at home or bringing a dish to your host’s house. This way you can have fun and not pay the price later.
Here is one such delectable recipe for you, a Seasonal Fruit and Pecan Crumble! In the summer, you can use raspberries, and in the winter, apples or pears. This recipe is quite versatile.
As an added bonus, since this dish is gluten and dairy free, it can be enjoyed by friends and family who are sensitive to these foods!
Seasonal Fruit and Pecan Crumble
For the Filling:
4 cups fruit (raspberries, apples or pears)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Topping:
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1 cup almond flour
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1⁄2 cup coconut oil, melted
1⁄4 cup raw honey
Scoop of vanilla or non-dairy ice-cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the fruit in a baking dish and sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond flour, sea salt and baking soda.
- Then stir in the pecans along with the unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Take melted coconut oil and add the honey to it in a small bowl.
- Stir the melted mixture into the almond flour mixture. Blend well. Then crumble the mixture over the berries.
- Bake for about half an hour, until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve as is or topped with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. (If you are sensitive to dairy, then serve with coconut or almond milk ice cream!)